Students who learn one or more languages other than their own:
- Score statistically higher on standardized tests conducted in English;
- Display enhanced memory, listening, and reading skills;
- Acquire a deeper understanding of their own culture as they explore the culture of other countries;
- Demonstrate better complex problem solving;
- Are poised speakers in front of small or large groups;
- Exhibit accelerated cognitive brain development in areas such as mental flexibility, creativity, divergent thinking and higher order thinking skills;
- Have opportunities for a greater number of career choices.
The above modified from NYSUT Brochure: Helping Your Child to Be a Successful Second Language Learner
WANT TO READ MORE ON THE IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?