Parents as Language Partners
Welcome to the Parents as Language Partners webpage, sponsored by the New York State Association for Language Teachers (NYSAFLT.) This page is designed for all the parents who have a child studying a world language. NYSAFLT believes that the role of the parent is essential in the success of a child’s learning of another language. This section of the NYSAFLT website is designed to provide parents with information about what they can do to help their child and things they should know about the study of language.
In addition, NYSAFLT believes your involvement and support for world language programs is essential. This website thus offers you links and documentation on opportunities to get more involved in the world language community. Please do not hesitate to contact the committee chairs if you have any questions or would like more information.
When you click below, you will find simple but strong ways of getting involved and becoming a great language partner!
- Understand the critical need for world language (WL) skills in NYS, our WL requirements and your child’s options for increased WL proficiency
- Why study another language? What are the state requirements for world languages?
- What you can do at home
- Building strong parent-teacher partnerships and getting involved in world language programs
- Parents’ frequently asked questions and links to helpful resources
- Resolution on World Language Instruction K-12, National Parent Teachers Association, 2021